Monday, July 8, 2013

Day one at the primary school

Sawatdee ka!

Today was our observation day at Phrachapibal Primary School in Bangkok. My uni cohorts, professional experience co-ordinator and I received a formal but warm welcome.  The primary students were cheerful and the teachers were hospitable. I really felt appreciated and treasured because the school treated and served us as if we were royalties. 

I know all of that sounds quite sugar coated and whatnot, but I'm actually writing about the experience for what it really is :) Although, at one stage my team-teaching partner and I were confused when we entered the classroom of grade 4 students. After the two of us introduced ourselves to the students, the teacher said ''Ok, you teach now teacher.'' and we replied with a stunned face ''Oh no. Today we observe only and we start teaching tomorrow.'' So that was cleared.

Some interesting things I discovered today in relation to the primary school:

- Besides wearing the same uniform, all of the primary students also wear the same socks, headbands (girls) and slippers. How did I pick up that they wear the same socks you ask? I'm often an analytical freak when it comes to entering a new place, and so I noticed the students were shoeless and then noticed they all had identical socks.

- Student teachers/pre-service teachers in Bangkok are expected to do their prac in fourth year for one full year, without any pay. I apologise to the criticism in advance but, I feel as if they are being taken advantage of. It's good in the sense that they are gaining experience but I do question the challenge of unpaid labour whilst being a university student. 

- On a brighter note, teachers including us overseas student teachers receive free lunch everyday and students receive free milk every morning, all of which are support from the Thai government! How amazing is that?!

- There are TWELVE Vietnamese students in this Thai primary school!! I was jumping in excitement when the teacher told me this because if you don't already know, my background is Vietnamese. I requested one of the teachers to bring any of them to me because I wanted to speak to them. I haven't felt that appreciation for Vietnamese speakers like that before. It's probably because it has been difficult in terms of communicating with locals during these past few days 

Short snippets of the grade 4 classroom atmosphere:


The precious kindergarten students blessing us with handmade flower garlands (made out of Jasmine flowers, Roses and Pandan leaves - it smelt absolutely beautiful).


 The students drumming away to welcome us into the school.


The school grows, picks and eats from their own vegetable garden. What a superb idea! Talk about fresh produce.


Having their calcium intake.
The main resource used to teach English in Thailand is the text book.

Myself and some of the students from the grade 4 class that we observed today.

No comments:

Post a Comment